Back to Top
Disability consultant

At Hunter TAFE, we ensure that people with disabilities who study with us have access, support and equal opportunities. We provide expertise in the following areas of disability from specialist Teacher Consultants to Disability Student Support Officers in Hearing, Vision, Physical, Learning/Intellectual and Neurological/Mental Health.


We provide free services to eligible enrolled students:
• Individual education plans record the negotiated types of support based on the individual needs of
  each student.
• Pre-entry assistance. Course options – referral to a counsellor, support required, enrolment and
  fee exemption information
• Advice on physical access such as mobility and access to classrooms and parking permits,
• Tutorial assistance may be provided to assist with course theory, study skills and moodle access
• Assistive & Adaptive Technology and Adjustments. This can include equipment such as FM audio
  systems, large font or braille printing, software including Dragon, JAWS, Read&Write Gold
  trackballs and ergonomic keyboards.
• In class support including note takers, interpreters, class notes in alternative format
• Reasonable adjustment for assessment is provided dependent on the needs of the student. TAFE
  can provide interpreters, reader/writers, extra break times, extra time, adaptive equipment, tests 
  in different formats and tests written in plain English.
• Flexible attendance may be provided for unusual circumstances such as surgery, prolonged illness
  or family crises
• Customised Courses designed for groups of students with a disability from community
• Links to community and government disability organisations and support services.

Students Seeking a Fee Exemption on the Basis of Disability

A student who is seeking a fee exemption on the basis of disability will need to provide one of the following, on the day of enrolment:
- a letter or income statement from Centrelink confirming receipt of Disability Support Pension with CRN
- a current Disability Pensioner Concession card with CRN
- documentary evidence of training support requirements.
This evidence must be a letter or statement from either a medical practitioner, an appropriate government agency or Disability Service provider, or a specialist allied health professional including a rehabilitation counsellor, psychologist, speech pathologist, occupational therapist or Irlen Diagnostic clinic.
The letter could be in the following form: "This is to confirm that (name) has a disability and the nature is such that support is/may be required to complete their course."